Sunday, December 26, 2004

What Does Seeing Progress Mean?

Seeing progress has a double meaning. It means seeing that progress is occurring which is an appropriate name for a blog considering that a blog tracks what's happening and comments on the patterns that emerge. But the primary meaning for me is the less obvious one; becoming progressively better at seeing.

Being good at seeing is really important - not so much for the one seeing as for the one being seen. Everybody wants to be seen. When we aren't seen by others we begin to feel isolated and to doubt our own existence or at least the significance of our own existence, which is almost the same thing.

How does one get out of this mess? By being seen by another person. Once you are seen by another person who's eyes can look into your soul you are redeemed. With this redemption comes the obligation to redeem others by seeing them.

That's it. I'm going to be trying to see others and report what I see. I'll probably be revealing a thing or two about myself while I'm at it.

No comments: