Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Rememberance Proposal

We just had Yom Hashoah and Yom Hazikaron Lehalelei Tza"hal. These two days are important for marking the sacrifice made by so many.

One way honor is given to the 6 million who perished in the holocaust and the thousands who died in battle defending the modern state of Israel and its people is by sounding a siren for a full minute as a signal for everyone to stand quietly and respectfully for the duration of the blast.

This year I noticed something that I never noticed before. The dogs in the neighorhood wined in pain because of the high pitch of the sound.

I think something should be done about this.

As far as I know, and I searched my memory for a few minutes, there is no Jewish law or custum that causes pain to animal. Dogs in particular are singled out by the Torah as worthy of kind treatment since they restrained themselves from barking the night of the Exodus from Egypt. The rabbis of Blessed Memory tell us that it was as a sign of gratitude that dogs are awarded treif meat by the verse in Exodus Chapter 11.

So I say, next year we should have that siren re calibrated (is that the right word) so that our actions to bring honor to humanity do not cause pain to furry friends

No comments: