Saturday, February 05, 2005

Movie Review - The Aviator

Mulit-Cultural Signing in Jerusalem

Question: What do Israel's third president, the Biblical prophet Jeremiah, a mentally ill 20th century American tycoon, and a contemporary Hollywood heartthrob have in common?

Answer: My choice of which direction to go one sunny weekday morning in Jerusalem.

This film got mixed reviews. I think the most glaring flaw was the superficiality of the portrayal of Hughes' mental illness.

What I liked was the way the friendship between Hughes and the Actress Eva Gardner was portrayed. Her moral support gave him the strength to face the Senate witch-hunt hearing of Senator Ralph Owen Brewster. In the movie, her affection, which was not at all romantically motivated, was decisive.

It's nice to see a movie where kindness makes all the difference, even though the informed viewer knows that he didn't live happily ever after.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't remember my password so this is easier. I didn't see the movie yet but was happy to hear your comments. One of the things I read about the movie was that they purposely didn't dwell on his mental illness. They wanted the movie to be more a story of his accomplishments. I do hope to see it. Do you think it's appropriate for children and what's the youngest?

Web Log Author said...

Hey Anonymous.

I understand about forgetting your password, but you really should write your name in the message if you want me to know who you are.

It's fine for kids. But most kids won't like it. It's just too slow, too much about business, politics and a personal history that won't be of interest to them.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous was your mother. I thought you would be able to tell.
Mother